February 11, 2014

Doing what You Love is not Overated

Written the week before I graduated with my Bachelors in English Literature and Creative Writing, after 6 years of working towards a degree as a single mother. Time to heed these words. Look out, and see the dream.




If you have ever held back on working towards something you love because of fear, not having confidence, because someone tells you that's not the best direction, or because you worry about security. I just want to say,

Do it!

Carpe Diem, isn't it?

I say this because I started going to school for nursing, which was not me. The fact that there would be better job options is why I did it, I felt I needed to do something in way of progress. I felt miserable in school. Eager students would sit around and talk about how much they've always wanted to be a nurse, doctor etc. and that just left me feeling out of the circle and I didn't understand it. When I made the decision to put my foot down and force myself in the direction that has always called to me but was always scared to do, everything changed. Many responses to my aspiring towards a degree in English Literature and Minor in Creative writing were something to the effect of, '...but what will you do with it?'

I'll tell you:
I may never be a novelist or distinguished writer. I may never make a pretty penny on published work; but I will have learned tools to do what I love, even if it’s from behind a lit up computer screen in the wee hours of the night. I will have more confidence to do what awakens the core of who I am as a person. That ability to grow in myself is irreplaceable. It's not really about the career alone, it’s about surrounding yourself with people and things you love. I cannot speak enough to how special that point is. It makes such a big difference to answer the calling of your heart, regardless of what economic benefit it has or doesn't have. Have you ever heard the saying that when you follow your heart the rest falls into place? Well, that is true. Even if what falls into place is not originally thought they would be.

The people I have met along the way are amazing. We share interests and want to help each other on the road to betterment. There's nothing like walking into a room, listening to people talk and realizing there are other people out there, like me! People who feel the way I do.

I speak mostly to my writing classes. I fell in love with these workshops and am so sad to see them end. It brought back memories of writing when I was young and inspired to be something when I grew up. I never felt that way about previous half-hearted endeavors, just going with the flow or trekking the land of should be. It was when I challenged myself to feed the hunger with the food it wanted, that I became full.

Graduation is next Friday and I’m not sure what the next chapter will be. But I will start back up with the Fiction Fix crew again, who is full of people volunteering for a journal because they love being surrounded by their craft. That will be such a learning experience in itself. There is a group of people who connected in these classes who want to keep in touch and talk about stories, to read and critique each others projects. I see a writers group in the works! I also have endless information now about good books to read, writing groups to follow, resources I would have never known about and people to go to for help when I get stuck.

Though something is ending, it feels like the future ahead is wide open, and possibility is endless. I feel excited to walk into it. I don’t think I would have felt that had I not gone for what I was passionate about. I should note that I have met people of all ages, some much older in life who sat on their desire to try or do for a long time. They were grateful they went for it. I have a hunch that excitement I feel, must be something even more for them. 

"It is never too late to become who you might have been." 

I wanted to share this with folks who feel stuck or may be wondering, what do I do next? Maybe you wanted to be a photographer, artist, editor, engineer, gardener or doctor. I have met people who went for it. They exude a light about their work, and you can tell they do it because they love it.

You don't have to go to school. That may be difficult to manage between time and money constraints. I wouldn't even be close to finishing college at this point if my partner hadn't been so supportive. However, you can pick up that paintbrush, look for interest groups that focus on that thing you love, join events like Riverside Arts Market or Art Walk. Write without fear, submit projects to publishers or local magazines, work with youth, get outside and see nature, advocate your passion, read and research what your drawn to in books or blogs. We should be looking for opportunities to get involved with the things we care about, on a personal level. I speak to myself here too! I think it will teach a lot about ourselves and will give back to those we love, because we will be making time for something that moves us and puts us at our best.

It’s encouraging for people to hear about the happiness, goals and success stories of others, both big or small. I hope you will share yours!

I will leave you one last note. Life and society is full of supposed limitations. Be a rebel...break them.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...